AFT Local #2375 – Representing Full-Time and Adjunct Faculty at Raritan Valley Community College, Somerville NJ
Dear Fellow Adjunct:
Welcome to Raritan Valley Community College — you are now an employee of one of the most highly regarded two year institutions in the nation. RVCC offers various disciplines and educational opportunities for the surrounding communities and these are supported by the dedicated full time and adjunct faculty. You are one of about 400 adjunct faculty members who bring a wealth of knowledge, education and situational life experiences to our student body.
Our faculty federation is only as strong as its membership, and joining Local 2375 will give your union representatives the support and solidarity they need to create the best possible working environment for you. Some of the recent gains that have been achieved as a result of our efforts are:
1. Improved adjunct office area with private space for meeting students;
2. Two year contract with a 2% pay increase each year;
3. Grant monies (Five $1000 grants/year) for adjuncts to pursue their own research and professional development;
4. An Adjunct Fellowship with the Center for Teaching, Learning & Scholarship;
5. An improved promotional/salary process;
6. Two Tuition-free courses/semester for members and their eligible dependents;
7. Reduced child-care rates for eligible members and 50% reduction in children’s summer camp costs; and
8. Compensation (@$200/class) for any adjunct class reassigned or cancelled for any reason within two weeks of semester start.
However, your union will face many more challenges in the future. With public sentiment and political posturing seemingly against educators, as well as healthcare reform that could impact adjunct hours, we have our work cut out for us. Additionally state and federal guidelines (i.e.performance review, assessment, etc.) regulating multiple aspects of our curriculum and class room environment present us with other obstacles to over come.
That’s why your membership in Local 2375 is so important. As a group we can work together with the administration to ensure the best possible educational environment for adjuncts as well as for our students. Please complete the enrollment form today and welcome aboard!
If you have any questions about membership, please contact our Membership Vice President, Thomas Moomjy– and know that we are all available to answer your questions at any time.
Best Regards from Your Union Representatives:
VP Thomas Moomjy (English)
VP Darleen Fiorelli (Business & Public Service)
Rep Larry Barbee (Visual & Performing Arts)
Rep Roger Shutack (Humanities, Social Science, Social Work & Education)